RE: Piko Siberling Coaches on C-Track

#1 von LongHairedDavid , 20.06.2019 21:18

Hi Everyone.

I have a Maerklin model railway (AC-MFX) and have a Maerklin Class 78. I looking for some coaches that would be suitable for it. I am told that Siberling coaches would be just the thing. I can only find Piko coaches - 59687. 59688 and 59689. I can't find any record of Maerklin coaches although people talk about them.

My question is that I only have C-Track 24130 curves on my railway and I am concerned that the Piko coaches may not negotiate these curves very well. Has anyone any experience of this?

Long Haired David
AKA David Pennington
Maerklin newby so lots to learn

LongHairedDavid  
LongHairedDavid
Regionalbahn (RB)

#2 von berndm , 20.06.2019 22:00

Don't worry. You won't have a problem with any 303mm Silberlinge (Piko or Roco) models.
The coaches will run smoothly in the curves.
The only drawback is the considerable overhang in the curve.
Double bends may be problematic in case the bogies turn rough. It might be a good idea to put a straight track between the two curves.

berndm
ICE-Sprinter
Spurweite H0

#3 von LongHairedDavid , 20.06.2019 22:51

OK so it is worth a try with a couple and see how they go.

Many thanks.

Long Haired David
AKA David Pennington

LongHairedDavid  
LongHairedDavid
Regionalbahn (RB)

#4 von UP4001 , 21.06.2019 10:56

Maybe you has to switch DC achsels with AC achles. This hint is for all DC cars!
In turnouts the AC C-Track has more place in the frog. Until 3 years ago I've an DC-C-Track (Trix) layout and all cars runing well. I had an small AC crossing (Märklin; crossing was not available by Trix!) and often trains derail! The trucks followed the crossing track I changed the layout and change the cross in two turnouts.
In my mind, the Piko Silverling has no fault. Derailing Cars: ROCO D-Zug (303 mm) & ROCO Eurofima (303), Roco Fals (big 6 achsle ore cars), Piko ICE. I think, the cause of derailing was side forces in the trucks, when the train is longer/heavier and the kupplers was steched. The trains come out of a lover level (3% grade), turning left side (small turnout, 500 mm radius), running over the crossing into a follonwing right curve (500 mm). In this case, the cars semmed to follow the centrifugal force; I think, that the kuppler kulisse was not back in neutral position.
Pushing a car with a light force to the side by roling over the crossing, the derailing can be reproduce.

LG

Horst

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
| Ich behalte mir redaktionelle Änderungen (Rechtschreibung, Formulierungsverbesserung usw.) auch ohne Kennzeichnung vor! |
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

MISSION IMPOSSIBLE – Vorstellung (meines Schattenbahnhofs)

UP4001
CityNightLine (CNL)
Gleise ROCO-Line - mit und ohne
Spurweite H0
Stromart DC, Digital

#5 von LongHairedDavid , 21.06.2019 17:52

I have just ordered Piko 59687, 59688 and 59699 from my local hobby shop - Scograil for a total of £130.00. Should have them by next Wednesday so I shall report back!

Long Haired David
AKA David Pennington

LongHairedDavid  
LongHairedDavid
Regionalbahn (RB)

#6 von Thilo , 21.06.2019 19:26

Hello David,

please do not use the short couplings of Märklin with the Piko cars. Use the Univeralkupplung (universal couplings) of Roco instead.

They are compatible to both Märklin short couplings and standard couplings.
But unlike the Märklin short couplings they will not interfere with the buffers of non-Märklin-vehicles.

Good Luck with your new cars!

Thilo

Meine Modulanlage mit Bf. "Königsförde"

Thilo
Metropolitan (MET)
Homepage: Link
Spurweite H0, 00
Steuerung IB Basic mit Profi-Boss und Daisy
Stromart AC, Digital

#7 von LongHairedDavid , 21.06.2019 19:33

Thanks. I was assured by Neil at Scograil that I wouldn't have any trouble with these on my curves due to the couplers.

Long Haired David
AKA David Pennington

LongHairedDavid  
LongHairedDavid
Regionalbahn (RB)

#8 von Minok , 21.06.2019 21:31

Hey David.

Märklin also make Silberling coaches, The 43800, 43802, 43803, 43810, 43897, 43898, 43820, etc.

Some are older models (so look for used), others are just coming out later in 2019.

If you get Pico coaches, do make sure you get the Pico specified AC wheelsets for the cars, replacing them as necessary.

Märklin C track turnouts and crossings are designed to work well with AC wheelsets - the AC wheelsets have a taller flange, and the crossings and turnouts are designed such that the cars run on their flanges in the gaps in the rails. With DC wheelsets it will work, but the wheels dip down a bit in the gap as the rails cross/connect, and that leads to uneven running at the crossing and can also lead to derails (as the spacing of DC wheelsets is slighly different from AC as well).

[youtu-be]https://youtu.be/T4shSktxFtI[/youtu-be]

--
Spielzeug aus Holz und Zinn, das Fetzt.

Minok
InterRegio (IR)

#9 von LongHairedDavid , 25.07.2019 15:53

I have had a lot of trouble with pushing the coaches, especially with my Maerklin 78. Its rear coupler is very short and is built in so I cant see how to change it. In the meantime, I tried my V200 and my SBB 482. Both of these worked, sort of. However, when I changed the leading car's coupler for a Maerklin Relex coupler (the only other couplers that I have to hand) both of these locos could push the set perfectly. I don't really want either of the on this train as they have other trains to drive in my schedule. I have now acquired a Maerklin 39411 Class 141 loco at a very good price which I will dedicate to this service. I will report back.

Long Haired David
AKA David Pennington

LongHairedDavid  
LongHairedDavid
Regionalbahn (RB)

#10 von Stadtbahner , 25.07.2019 17:25

Piko's Silberling coaches work fine on my Trix C-track layout even through R1 turn switches pushed and pulled, though carefully at low speed. In-between coaches, I use Roco short couplings, and from coach to locomotive (Fleischmann DB class 21 I use Roco universal short couplings.

The same can be said for Piko InterCity coaches coupled to a Piko DB class 103.

Regarding your Märklin class 78, try to contact Stummiforum member RWD and ask him about suitable couplings adaptors.

Viele Grüße, Stadtbahner

Meine kleine Parkettbahn "Bärlin", neu: Gleisplan #024 mit BR 023, 80 und 218 .
Dieser Beitrag endet hier. Sie können noch bis zum nächsten Beitrag mitlesen.

Stadtbahner
EuroCity (EC)
Gleise Trix C-Gleis
Spurweite H0
Steuerung DCC, z21, MultiMaus, Rocrail
Stromart Digital

#11 von LongHairedDavid , 31.07.2019 12:12

The new E141, along with my existing V200, work perfectly with the coaches. The following video shows the E141 in action.

https://youtu.be/REb3oG7m8fU

Long Haired David
AKA David Pennington

LongHairedDavid  
LongHairedDavid
Regionalbahn (RB)

#12 von berndm , 31.07.2019 15:26

Zitat

The new E141, along with my existing V200, work perfectly with the coaches. The following video shows the E141 in action.

Hello David, nice video!
What makes me wonder are the couplings. Are you really using the original Märklin couplings at the 141 061-2 and the original Piko couplings at the Mitteleinstiegswagen? And pushing the coaches is really working?
Nevertheless, very nice .
Cheers -- Bernd
BTW: This type of locomotive was named E41 until 1968 thereafter 141. By changing to the computerized IDs by the Deutsche Bundesbahn the electro locomotives lost their E xx and became 1 xx (like the diesel locomotive with D xx to 2 xx and the steamers got a 0 as first digit). Unfortunately there were some further changes.

berndm
ICE-Sprinter
Spurweite H0

#13 von cachy , 31.07.2019 15:42

Hi!

Zitat

These are "Mitteleinstiegswagen" ("yl-Wagen", coaches with doors in the middle and at the ends), not "[url=https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/N-Wagen#/media/Datei:Hannover_-_DB_"Silberling"_Coaches.jpg]Silberlinge[/url]" ("n-Wagen", doors somewhere between the end and the middle of the coach).

Regards,
Harald

http://blog.die-kiels.org/

cachy
InterRegio (IR)

#14 von Der Krümel , 31.07.2019 21:15

Hi David,

try to use [url="Roco "Universalkupplung"]https://www.roco.cc/en/product/22610-0-0-0-0-0-0-003005-0/products.html[/url] with these coaches.
This is a short coupling compatible with the Märklin "Kurzkupplung" and looking quite the same, except the open bow (? don't know, if this is the right description).

Viele Grüße
Hendrik

Der Krümel
Metropolitan (MET)
Homepage: Link
Spurweite H0
Steuerung Tams MC
Stromart AC, Digital