RE: Whistle rules

#1 von LongHairedDavid , 03.06.2019 21:19

Hi everyone. This is my first post on the forum. I have a small Maerklin layout in the bedroom - 2m x 0.9m. I have recently joined the Maerklin world from US outline.

I have sound on all of my locos but I have no idea under which rules the locos use their whistles?

I have the following locos
BR 23
BR 24
BR 78
V200
V60.

Can anyone help please?

Long Haired David
AKA David Pennington
Maerklin newby so lots to learn

LongHairedDavid  
LongHairedDavid
Regionalbahn (RB)

#2 von Erich Müller , 03.06.2019 21:42

Hello,

Maybe this might help you?

viewtopic.php?f=35&t=166720

Freundliche Grüße
Erich

„Es hat nie einen Mann gegeben, der für die Behandlung von Einzelheiten so begabt gewesen wäre. Wenn er sich mit den kleinsten Dingen abgab, so tat er das in der Überzeugung, daß ihre Vielheit die großen zuwege bringt.“
Friedrich II. über Fr. Wilhelm I.

Erich Müller  
Erich Müller
ICE-Sprinter

#3 von VT601 , 04.06.2019 11:03

Hi David, (I suppose)

As a rule in Germany and The Netherlands (were I am from) wistles should only be used to avoid collision or danger.
In some cases signs alongside the track show the driver to blow the wistle or ring a bell. In Germany this was often the cas on very rural lines with may levelcrossings and indicated bij "L" (Lauten / Bell) or "P" (Pfeifen / Wistle).
When communicatio between enginedrivers was necessary (in the case of helpers) the wistle was used rather frequently. Now this is mostly replaced by Cellphone or Radio communication.

Now adays many of those lines are either closed of in use as a scenic railway.

In the actual practice wistles are mostly blown by steamengines on special (steam)trips. This is merely for the viewers than to avoid collision or ask for attention.

John (VT601)

Fahre Märklin-system, unter Nutzung von CS3+ und IB-Basic und PC-Steuerung über Rocrail.
Mitglied des 3railforum.nl und die M-Track Gruppe NL (www.mtrack-org)
Lese und schreibe Niederländisch, Deutsch und Englisch.
YouTubekanal: VT601

VT601
InterRegio (IR)
Gleise K-Gleis und C-Gleis
Spurweite H0
Steuerung CS3+, IB-Basic
Stromart AC, Digital

#4 von LongHairedDavid , 04.06.2019 11:23

Thank you. I am modelling nominally ERA III so a mix of steam/diesel and electric. I have been using the whistle on entering my tunnel and when approaching the level crossing. I have also been using it when starting or changing direction(when shunting) but these are habits I got into with my old US outline so maybe I should stop those practises.

Long Haired David
AKA David Pennington
Maerklin newby so lots to learn

LongHairedDavid  
LongHairedDavid
Regionalbahn (RB)

#5 von volkerS , 04.06.2019 12:37

Hi David,
in early days in Germany steam locos also whistle on entering the tunnel. Today elctro or diesel locos whistle on entering the tunnel when it s impossible to check the whistle before starting the run. They must whistle when there is a L-panel on track, normaly used at branch lines.
Volker

volkerS  
volkerS
ICE-Sprinter