Trix Locomotive Issue

#1 von VikenSheth , 28.04.2023 08:50

Hello Everyone

I have noticed a issue with Trix locos having sound decoders. The issue is that sometimes the locomotive does not move even though the drive command is given by the controller. If you power down the system by Emergency OFF and ON, or shake the loco on the tracks (Either way power briefly goes off) the loco will start to move.

I was wondering if anyone of you have come across this issue and have a solution. Are their any CVs to be changed to take care of this issue? I have Roco z21 white and operate my layout with Rocrail.

DB class 24 steam loco with sound & smoke - 22248
V 60 shunter (Digi coupling and sound) - 22623

Regards,
Viken

sven321 hat sich bedankt!
VikenSheth  
VikenSheth
S-Bahn (S)

RE: Trix Locomotive Issue

#2 von WMaerker , 28.04.2023 10:29

Hi Viken,
first of all, I can`t help you because I don`t have Trix Locos. But nevertheless I`ve got one question: Concerning the V 60, does the sound start and the loco starts to move a little bit later? I know this with the ESU sound decoders that i normally use. Therefore my question: Do you have the problem with the locos if you use them without the sound?
Regards
Walter

VikenSheth hat sich bedankt!
WMaerker  
WMaerker
InterCity (IC)
Gleise C- und K-Gleis
Spurweite H0
Steuerung ECOS
Stromart Digital

#3 von moppe , 28.04.2023 10:31

Is MM protocol activated in your z21?

I have one Trix loco, if MM protocol is on, the loco doesnt answer on DCC commands.
Switchning off MM, solves the issue.

Klaus

"Meine" Modellbahn:http://www.modelbaneeuropa.dk
Dänisches Bahnforum: http://www.baneforum.dk
PIKO C4 "Horror Gallery": http://moppe.dk/PIKOC4.html

moppe
Trans Europ Express (TEE)
Homepage: Link
Gleise Roco, PECO, Märklin/Trix, PIKO,
Spurweite H0, H0e, N, Z
Steuerung Z21, Lenz, MpC Gahler+Ringsmeier, Games on Track/Faller
Stromart AC, DC, Digital, Analog

#4 von Hadasch , 28.04.2023 11:18

Hallo

Since I have lots of Trix locomotives with Sound, so I actually had just the problem, that one of my locomotives did not work.
It was a pretty new one, after test in the shop and one run at home I was satisfied.
One run more after several week, no motion, no light, no sound.
It was a matter of guaranty and now it runs properly.

If you have the issue, that they do not get in motion properly, so please start cleaning your tracks!
Maybe dust and so on is giving yoou a good isolation!

Hadasch

Hadasch
InterRegioExpress (IRE)
Spurweite H0
Stromart DC, Digital

#5 von VikenSheth , 28.04.2023 11:21

Zitat von WMaerker im Beitrag #2
Hi Viken,
first of all, I can`t help you because I don`t have Trix Locos. But nevertheless I`ve got one question: Concerning the V 60, does the sound start and the loco starts to move a little bit later? I know this with the ESU sound decoders that i normally use. Therefore my question: Do you have the problem with the locos if you use them without the sound?
Regards
Walter

Hi Walter

To your 1st Question.......The Locomotive will respond to all the sound functions, however when the drive command is given the locomotive doesn't move ahead. I have to switch off the track power or pick up the locomotive from track and put it back after which everything starts working,

To your 2nd Question..... Even when the sound if off the locomotive doesn't move ahead it will only respond to sound functions eg Sound. Again I have to switch off the track power or pick up the locomotive from track and put it back after which everything starts working.

Regards,
Viken

VikenSheth  
VikenSheth
S-Bahn (S)

#6 von VikenSheth , 28.04.2023 11:22

Zitat von moppe im Beitrag #3
Is MM protocol activated in your z21?

I have one Trix loco, if MM protocol is on, the loco doesnt answer on DCC commands.
Switchning off MM, solves the issue.

Klaus

Hi Klaus,

MM Protocol is off in z21. The issue is not solved.

Regards,
Viken

VikenSheth  
VikenSheth
S-Bahn (S)

#7 von VikenSheth , 28.04.2023 11:25

Zitat von Hadasch im Beitrag #4
Hallo

Since I have lots of Trix locomotives with Sound, so I actually had just the problem, that one of my locomotives did not work.
It was a pretty new one, after test in the shop and one run at home I was satisfied.
One run more after several week, no motion, no light, no sound.
It was a matter of guaranty and now it runs properly.

If you have the issue, that they do not get in motion properly, so please start cleaning your tracks!
Maybe dust and so on is giving yoou a good isolation!

Hadasch

Hello Hadasch,

The tracks are clean. Locomotive response to all the sound function as well as. Once the power off and On is done everything starts working.

Regards,
Viken

VikenSheth  
VikenSheth
S-Bahn (S)

#8 von jo_ , 28.04.2023 16:36

Hello Viken

Some time ago, I had a similar problem with a Lenz decoder, but in reverse. The decoder would respond to movement commands right away, but any reaction to function commands would be immensely delayed. After tipping the loco slightly to briefly break electrical contact, the decoder would pick up those function commands right away.

It turned out that it was the speed step setting. The decoder's manual had me believe it would be set to 128 steps by default, but it wasn't. Setting the right CV solved the problem.

So you might want to check if the speed step settings in the decoder and in the command unit are aligned, either by reading the relevant CV value or explicitly setting it.

Cheers
Jo

jo_  
jo_
RegionalExpress (RE)
Gleise RocoLine auf dem Tisch und C auf dem Teppich
Spurweite H0, 00
Stromart AC, DC

zuletzt bearbeitet 28.04.2023 | Top

#9 von VikenSheth , 27.05.2023 18:15

Hello Jo,

I did the changes as per your suggestion but the issue remains as it is. What I have observed is if the operating sound if off then the locomotives work perfectly.

Regards,
Viken

VikenSheth  
VikenSheth
S-Bahn (S)

#10 von sven321 , 04.06.2023 10:54

Hi Viken,

I have exactly the same problem you describe: Trix locos occasionally do not react.

Only locos with the current msd3 decoder are affected. I have about 10 Trix locos and they all have this issue from time to time. Other decoders never have this issue. I think it’s a weakness of the msd3 decoder which was never really solved.

There were other threads about this problem here on the forum for example this
RE: Märklin mfx-Loks bleiben stehen

My command station is the Ecos. I updated the Ecos, I updated the msd3 decoders, I increased the voltage, I disabled other protocols except DCC in both Ecos and msd3, but the problem remains. So when a Trix loco does not react, I have to move the loco to the side for a second (disconnect from one rail) and then it runs…

Cheers,
Sven

sven321  
sven321
RegionalExpress (RE)
Spurweite H0, G
Stromart Digital

zuletzt bearbeitet 04.06.2023 | Top

#11 von Monaco , 04.06.2023 23:03

Trix 22174 Lollo und ESU Lokpilot 5 Sound, Probleme
... had similar problems, had to change the motor, see link to thread, in German

Carsten

Monaco
InterRegio (IR)
Spurweite H0
Stromart DC, Digital

#12 von VikenSheth , 06.06.2023 08:09

Zitat von sven321 im Beitrag #10
Hi Viken,

I have exactly the same problem you describe: Trix locos occasionally do not react.

Only locos with the current msd3 decoder are affected. I have about 10 Trix locos and they all have this issue from time to time. Other decoders never have this issue. I think it’s a weakness of the msd3 decoder which was never really solved.

There were other threads about this problem here on the forum for example this
RE: Märklin mfx-Loks bleiben stehen

My command station is the Ecos. I updated the Ecos, I updated the msd3 decoders, I increased the voltage, I disabled other protocols except DCC in both Ecos and msd3, but the problem remains. So when a Trix loco does not react, I have to move the loco to the side for a second (disconnect from one rail) and then it runs…

Cheers,
Sven

Hello Sven,

So instead of msd3 decoder which sound decoder can be used.

Regards,
Viken

VikenSheth  
VikenSheth
S-Bahn (S)

#13 von Guardian71 , 07.06.2023 09:06

Hi Viken,

generally, as Märklin/Trix use 21-pin MTC sockets today with amplified AUX 3/4, any Decoder of any brand matching these specifications may be used. Sound decoders for the said plug are offered by:

Zimo MS440D, MX644D,
ESU LokSound 5 21 MTC MKL
Doehler & Haas SD21A-4

For these decoders, sound projects for class 24 and DB V 60 are available.

Beste Grüße,
Mark

Guardian71  
Guardian71
CityNightLine (CNL)
Gleise Roco line
Spurweite H0
Steuerung Roco Multimaus
Stromart DC

Roco Line als 3L Gleis, erfahrungen gesucht (und Software Tipps)
Verständnisfrage BR 78.10 MäNr. 39782