Hallo Leute, wird hier Englisch gesprochen? Ich lese Deutsch aber sie kaum schreiben kann! Your advice & suggestions please. I have a problem with my son's Fleischmann BR 360 159 shunter with a pancake motor, it looks about new. Model number 4223. I'd just lubricated the motor and gearwheel bearings and was testing by applying power to the brush caps. It was running nice and smoothly until one probe slipped! Theerafter, the motor just doesn't turn. I've removed the motor, it turns freely by finger, with discernable "cogging". When power is applied, it turns just a fraction and stops. I can feel a strong magnetic field if I try to turn the armature. Current drain is high but not a dead short, though I can't immediately measure it. My meter shows about 12-15 ohms between each commutator segment. What have I broken? Helpful suggestions please.
Zitat von NigeBHallo Markus, Thanks for the reply.
The brushes and springs are OK - they look new. The commutator is clean, is there any way to test the armature with a simple multimeter?
Sorry .... should have been more precise. The insulation gap between the - even very clean and neatly looking blocks of the commutator - could be filled up with used up coal, which causes a malfunction of the motor.
Measuring - since this motor's commuter has a.f.a.I.k three sections - in the three steps as mentioned in the other exchange.
The resistance between all commutator segments is the same, ca 15 Ohms. For example between segments 1&2 = 2&3 = 1&3 = ca 15 Ohms. I compared this with a very similar Fleischmann motor from the 1960's (that loco just about runs!) - the same!
Thanks for you input, I am really keen to get this loco running again.
Sometimes very strange things happen - lacking contact only under special conditions, although the moter seems to check out fine it malfunctions. Evidently electric current isn't getting there. I don't think that the magnetic field is breaking down
Well this turns out to be an enigma now - solve it ... or get a new pancake.